Project Name: Nam Mae Mao Mini-Hydroelectric Project
Consultant: Asian Engineering Consultants Corp., Ltd.
Project Location within Country: Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Name of Client: National Energy Administration (NEA)
Professional Staff Provided :
No. of Staff: 9
No. of Man-Months: 23
Start Date (Month/Year) 9 June 1983
Completion Date (Month/Year) 8 April 1984
Approximate Value of Services: US$ 0.15 M.
Name of associated firm(s), if any : Proportion: Snowy Mountains Engineering Corporation. 25.44 %
Project Cost : US$ 10 M. (1 US$ = 23 Baht)
Detailed Narrative Descriptive of Project: The detailed engineering investigations and design work undertaken for this Stage I development pertained to that of a concrete gravity dam approximately 73 m. high above the river bed with a crest length of 140 m. The Nam Mae Mao reservoir contains an annual active regulating storage of 20 million cubic meters capable of supply irrigation water to a total irrigable area of 3,000 hectares.
The water conveyance system has a capacity of 9 cubic meters per second and comprises an intake from the reservoir, a 2.40-meter diameter pressure tunnel (more than 1,000 m. in length), a surge tank 10.00 meters in diameter, a 2.00-meter diameter round steel-lined pressure tunnel (330 m. long) and a concrete encased buried steel pipe penstock (1.60 m. in diameter and 125 m. long).
Detailed Description of Actual Services provided:
The Following consultancy services were provided in this project:
- Review of the project layout and conceptual design
- Hydrological studies
- Topographical Maps
- Geological/materials investigations and tests
- Establishing final design criteria for structures (i.e. dam, spillway, intake, outlet . R.C. pressure pipeline, steel pipes, powerplant and transmission line)
- Detailed hydraulic design of spillway, intake, pipeline, outlet works and tailrace
- Detailed structural design of concrete and steel structures
- Electrical and mechanical design of powerplant, switchyard and transmission line
- Construction scheduling
- Quantity and cost estimation
- Contract drawings
- Specifications and tender documents
- Preparation of inception report, progress reports and final reports
The concrete gravity dam approximately 73 m. high above the river bed with a crest length of 140 m. The Nam Mae Mao reservoir contains an annual active regulating storage of 20 million cubic meters capable of supply irrigation water to a total irrigable area of 3,000 hectares.